East And West Rocks

East Rock (1834) and West Rock (1835) were built of stone discarded during the construction of the second State Capitol. The twin buildings flank Smedes Hall, the school's main building; enclosed walkways connect the three buildings.

Date: 1834; 1835

Images

East Rock, 2013 Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club.
East Rock, 2013 Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club.
West Rock, 2013 Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club.
East Rock, 1980s Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission.
West Rock, 1980s Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission.
West Rock, 1977 Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives.
West Rock, 1970s Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives.

Location

900 Hillsborough Street

Metadata

RHDC, “East And West Rocks,” Raleigh Historic, accessed February 5, 2023, https://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/24.