Smedes Hall

Smedes Hall is a three-and one-half story Greek Revival brick building. Originally built for the boys' school and called Main Hall, Smedes was renamed in honor of the Reverend Aldert Smedes, first rector and president of Saint Mary's School. It has been used as a multi-purpose building since the girls' school opened in 1842.

Date: 1839

Images

Smedes Hall, 2010 Image courtesy of D. Cicone, Capital City Camera Club.
Smedes Hall, 1980 Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission.
Smedes Hall, date unknown Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives and History.
Smedes Hall, date unknown Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives.
Smedes Hall, date unknown Image courtesy of "Main Entrance, Smedes Hall, Saint Mary's School, Raleigh, N. C.," North Carolina Postcards, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Location

900 Hillsborough Street

Metadata

RHDC, “Smedes Hall,” Raleigh Historic, accessed February 5, 2023, https://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/23.