This much-altered house is one of the oldest in Raleigh. In 1851, the dwelling faced south with a side-hall-plan, weather boarded walls, and wood roof shingles. Alterations before 1881 included the Queen Anne stair rail and newel. A 1920s remodel included brick veneer, an expanded front porch, vestibule, sunroom, and slate roof. The cornice returns and Doric porch columns added Colonial Revival style from that period. A 2012 fire nearly destroyed the house, but the rehabilitation revealed its structural systems, helping date the sections. William Thompson, the first owner and builder, also built desks and chairs for the State Capitol chambers.
Date: ca. 1851, 1871, 1921-6, 2012