In the last quarter of the nineteenth century, Raleigh native Dallas Adams (1843-1912) worked as a pharmacist at Dix Hill Asylum, the precursor to Dorothea Dix Hospital. He also invested in real estate. Around 1880, he bought land outside Raleigh and near the asylum. He built this house and six others, the latter to generate rental income. The county road those dwellings lined came to be known as Adams Row. Adams’s house is a vernacular form enriched with a few Queen Anne details: trefoil vents in the gable ends, elaborate porch and eave brackets, and a half-glazed front door.
Around 1940, Adams Row was renamed Daladams Street to honor Dallas Adams. Of the seven houses Adams had built, three remain. Two have been heavily altered. Adams’s own home has recently been rehabilitated, another tribute to this very early Raleigh developer.
Date ca. 1880