Filed Under Early Twentieth Century
Dr. Z.M. Caveness House
Designed by architect Harry P. S. Keller, the Dr. Z. M. Caveness House is a well-preserved brick foursquare distinguished by the low forms, strong horizontal lines, earthy materials, and overall sense of simplicity of the Prairie style of architecture. Dr. Caveness, a local physician and civic leader, received one of the first degrees granted by the newly established medical school at the University of North Carolina in 1903. Preservation North Carolina purchased the house in the late twentieth century and it served as the organization's headquarters from 1986 until 1993. It remains in use for offices.