Wake County Home

Charles E. Hartage designed this building in a symmetrical Classical Revival style. The two-story, E-plan, brick structure with a central entrance pavilion features a colossal wooden portico with Tuscan-columns. Hartage was also the architect for Smedes Hall renovations and Pittman Hall at Saint Mary's School and the Church of the Good Shepherd at S. McDowell and Hillsborough streets. This building symbolizes the development of social services as an attempt to aid the indigent, aged, and disabled at a time when no other options existed.

Date: 1913-1914

Images

Wake County Home, 2011
Wake County Home, 2011 Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club.
Wake County Home, 2011
Wake County Home, 2011 Image courtesy of J. Lachmann, Capital City Camera Club.
Wake County Home, 1990
Wake County Home, 1990 Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives.
Wake County Home, date unknown
Wake County Home, date unknown Image courtesy of "County Home for the Poor, Near Raleigh, N.C.," Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Postcards, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Location

401 East Whitaker Mill Road

Metadata

RHDC, “Wake County Home,” Raleigh Historic, accessed July 18, 2024, https://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/98.