N.C. State Fair Commercial & Educational Buildings

These Mediterranean Revival buildings, designed by the firm of Atwood and Weeks, are emblematic of the role of agriculture in the economy of North Carolina and the tradition of state fairs begun in 1853. A pair of towers flank the Baroque-arched entrances to the large stucco-covered buildings that are trimmed with multicolored terra cotta tiles.

Date: 1928

Images

N.C. State Fair Commercial & Educational Buildings, 2010
N.C. State Fair Commercial & Educational Buildings, 2010 Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club.
N.C. State Fair Commercial & Educational Buildings, 2010
N.C. State Fair Commercial & Educational Buildings, 2010 Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club.
N.C. State Fair Commercial & Educational Buildings, ca. 1928
N.C. State Fair Commercial & Educational Buildings, ca. 1928 Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives.
President Harry Truman visits the N.C. State Fair Commercial & Educational Buildings, date unknown
President Harry Truman visits the N.C. State Fair Commercial & Educational Buildings, date unknown Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives.

Location

NW corner of Hillsborough Street and Blue Ridge Roads

Metadata

RHDC, “N.C. State Fair Commercial & Educational Buildings,” Raleigh Historic, accessed July 18, 2024, https://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/90.