Located one mile north of downtown, the Raleigh Bonded Warehouse complex developed between 1923 and 1956. It consists of the original warehouse (1923); an office (ca. 1923, expanded ca. 1949); a packing builidng (ca. 1949); a weigh station (ca. 1949); and two additional warehouses (ca. 1949 and 1953). The 1923 warehouse is a rectangular two-story reinforced concrete building with a heavy timber interior framework, a low gabled roof, and corrugated metal doors. Built to store cotton, it is Raleigh's third oldest commercial warehouse and its first made of reinforced concrete. The complex served as Raleigh's main repository for durable goods for muchof the 20th century.