Andrews-Duncan House

G. S. H. Appleget designed this symmetrical Italianate home for Confederate Captain Alexander B. Andrews. Although much different than the Heck-Andrews House in its overall effect, there are similarities in the window surrounds, finely ornamented brackets, and decorative porch posts. The original stable stands behind the house and retains its steep hip roof with cupola. The house is owned by the state and is used as offices.

Date: 1874

Images

Andrews-Duncan House Image Courtesy of the State Archives of North Carolina
Andrews-Duncan House, 2010 Image courtesy of J. Schwaller, Capital City Camera Club.
Andrews-Duncan House, 1980s Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission.
Andrews-Duncan House, date unknown Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives.
Andrews-Duncan House, date unknown Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives.
Andrews-Duncan House, date unknown Image courtesy of Preservation North Carolina, "Andrews-Duncan House," Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides), Built Heritage of North Carolina: Historic Architecture in the Old North State, North Carolina State University, Libraries, Special Collections Research Center.

Location

407 North Blount Street

Metadata

RHDC, “Andrews-Duncan House,” Raleigh Historic, accessed February 5, 2023, https://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/66.