Filed Under Late Nineteenth Century
Carolina Trust/Mahler Buildings
The 1876 Romanesque Revival Mahler Building originally housed a jewelry store and offices. The Carolina Trust Building is a 1902 Colonial Revival bank. McLellan's Five & Dime Store purchased first the Carolina Trust, then the Mahler Building, combining them in 1932 into one large store with a unified storefront. While the storefronts of both buildings have been remodeled repeatedly, upper stories retain original distinction. The Mahler Building has characteristic round-arch windows with bracketed metal caps and keystones. Carolina Trust, a more restrained Classical style, displays less texture and fewer curves than its neighbor.
Date: 1902 and 1876, respectively