Filed Under Late Nineteenth Century
Caraleigh Mills is the largest of the six textile mills built in Raleigh. Caraleigh manufactured raw cotton and wool yardage as well as finished sheet goods in the first half of the twentieth century and synthetic fabrics in the second half, remaining in operation until 1999. The Italianate building features full-height pilasters with brackets, decorative brickwork, and segmental-arched windows. The structure also has a heavy timber frame and maple floors. Developers converted the defunct mill into condominiums in 2003.
Date: 1892, expanded ca. 1900, ca. 1910, ca. 1919, and in the 1950s