Garland Scott and Toler Moore Tucker House

The Garland Scott and Toler Moore Tucker House is an excellent, intact example of the Southern Colonial Revival style. With classical detailing and full-height porticos, the style conjures the idea of grand antebellum houses. Garland Tucker and his brothers ran a very successful furniture business in Raleigh that expanded with retail stores throughout the state. The Tuckers built the house in 1914 and lived here for the rest of their lives. When the widowed Mrs. Tucker passed away in 1974, her son Garland S. Tucker Jr. donated the family home to the City of Raleigh. The city moved the Tucker House from N. Blount Street to its current location and has used it as an event venue ever since.

Date: 1915

Images

Tucker House, 1975
Tucker House, 1975 On the move. Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives.
Tucker House, 1975
Tucker House, 1975 Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives.
Tucker House, 1977
Tucker House, 1977 Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives.
Tucker House, date unknown
Tucker House, date unknown Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives.
Tucker House, 2009
Tucker House, 2009 Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club.
Tucker House, 1980s
Tucker House, 1980s Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission.

Location

416 North Person Street

Metadata

RHDC, “Garland Scott and Toler Moore Tucker House,” Raleigh Historic, accessed July 18, 2024, https://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/128.