Conceived by W.E. Long Company of Chicago, specialists in bakery design, and built by the Raleigh construction firm of James A. Davidson, the Royal Baking Company is a utilitarian one-story brick building with simple International style detail. Built in 1941 and expanded 1946-1947, this bakery illustrates the period of industrial expansion in Raleigh following the stagnation of the Great Depression. The building is also evidence of a shift in industrial construction away from the urban core toward major transportation arteries like Hillsborough Street.
Date: 1941; 1946-47