Yates Mill

Named for Phares Yates, whose family operated it from 1869 to 1948, Yates Mill is the only water-powered mill building remaining in Wake County. Remodeled at various times, its present size and configuration date to the 1850s. Prior to closing in 1953 for lack of demand, it was utilized for lumber manufacturing, corn and wheat milling, and wool carding. The mill is now part of a county park with hiking trails and picnic areas in addition to the historic structure.

Date: ca. 1756



Northwest corner of Lake Wheeler Road and Yates Mill Pond Road