Filed Under African American

Dr. M.T. Pope House

The Dr. M.T. Pope House is the last structure in its original location illustrating the presence of a middle and professional class of African-American families along South Wilmington Street. Dr. Pope was a politically active and well-known African American physician and Trustee of Shaw University and his daughters both became educators. The two-story brick house is a rare and early example of an African American residence built of expensive, high-quality materials with stylish workmanship. Owned by the City of Raleigh, the building is now available for tours.

Date: 1900

Images

Dr. M.T. Pope House, date unknown Miss Pope along side the Pope House and Stronach's Alley. Image courtesy of the City of Raleigh Museum.
Dr. M.T. Pope House, 2009 Image courtesy of B. Fullington, Capital City Camera Club.
Dr. M.T. Pope House, 2009 Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club.
Dr. M.T. Pope House, 1999 Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives.

Location

511 South Wilmington Street

Metadata

RHDC, “Dr. M.T. Pope House,” Raleigh Historic, accessed December 5, 2023, https://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/135.