Wake County Home

Charles E. Hartage designed this building in a symmetrical Classical Revival style. The two-story, E-plan, brick structure with a central entrance pavilion features a colossal wooden portico with Tuscan-columns. Hartage was also the architect for Smedes Hall renovations and Pittman Hall at Saint Mary's School and the Church of the Good Shepherd at S. McDowell and Hillsborough streets. This building symbolizes the development of social services as an attempt to aid the indigent, aged, and disabled at a time when no other options existed.

Date: 1913-1914

Images

Map

401 East Whitaker Mill Road