Agricultural Building of the Berry O'Kelly School

Berry O'Kelly School is in the Method community, a freedman’s village established by former slave Jesse Mason and his family. The Agriculture Building is the oldest of only two surviving buildings from the multi-building school complex founded by O'Kelly, a revered merchant, wholesaler, civic leader, philanthropist and proponent of practical education for African American youth. The original portion of the rectangular brick building was constructed using grants from the Julius Rosenwald Fund (established by the CEO of Sears, Roebuck and Company), matched with donated land and local funds raised in the community. Also known as the Pioneers Building, it now serves as a community center at Method Park, a City of Raleigh facility.

Date: 1926

Images

Agricultural Building of the Berry O'Kelly School

Agricultural Building of the Berry O'Kelly School

Image Courtesy of the State Archives of North Carolina View File Details Page

Agricultural Building Of The Berry O'Kelly School, 2009

Agricultural Building Of The Berry O'Kelly School, 2009

Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission. View File Details Page

Agricultural Building Of The Berry O'Kelly School, date unknown

Agricultural Building Of The Berry O'Kelly School, date unknown

Image courtesy of the City of Raleigh Museum. View File Details Page

Street Address:

514 Method Road [map]

Cite this Page:

RHDC, “Agricultural Building of the Berry O'Kelly School,” Raleigh Historic, accessed June 29, 2017, http://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/91.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story