City Market

The best surviving example of a market house erected in North Carolina since the Civil War, this Spanish Mission-style complex designed by James Matthew Kennedy housed a complement of butchers, fish dealers, and vegetable vendors. Development of the supermarket concept and the new state farmers' market caused its demise in the late 1950s.

Date: 1913-1914

Images

Map

214 East Martin Street