Delany Building

The Delany Building is one of only two remaining commercial structures built on Raleigh's "Black Main Street" before World War II. Builder Dr. Lemuel T. Delany, the first black surgeon practicing at Saint Agnes Hospital and son of the first African American bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina, built the two-story commercial building in 1926. During the next forty years, he leased it to numerous African American political, educational, and cultural organizations. Dr. David Lane, a dentist, purchased the property in 1970 and the first floor was converted into restaurant a few years later.

Date: 1926

Images

Delany Building, 2010

Delany Building, 2010

Image courtesy of B. Fullington, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Delany Building, 1980s

Delany Building, 1980s

Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission. View File Details Page

Street Address:

133 East Hargett Street [map]

Cite this Page:

RHDC, “Delany Building,” Raleigh Historic, accessed June 26, 2017, http://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/77.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story