According to tradition, this house was built as a surprise by Dr. William J. Hawkins for his brother and sister-in-law, Dr. and Mrs. Alexander B. Hawkins. Mrs. Hawkins had the ninety-two-foot Eastlake verandah added to soften the brick facade. Mrs. Annie Sloan Hartness, wife of James A. Hartness, North Carolina Secretary of State (1929-1931) purchased the house in 1928. Currently, the house serves as the offices of the Lieutenant Governor. Its interior features magnificent hardwood cabinetry by Philadelphia craftsmen.
Date: ca. 1882