Estey Hall, Shaw University

Estey Hall was the first structure built for the higher education of African American women in the United States and is the oldest surviving building on the Shaw University campus. Designed by G. S. H. Appleget, the building has a cross-gabled roof with a framed cupola and windows heavily accented by surrounds of stuccoed brick. The Estey Hall Foundation rehabilitated the building in the late twentieth century.

Date: 1874

Images

Map

East South Street on Shaw University Campus