Water Tower

The City of Raleigh erected this octagonal brick tower to house its water supply in 1887; the structure included an attached two-story office building. Prominent Raleigh architect William Henley Dietrick removed the defunct tank in 1938 and converted the tower and building for his own office use, marking Raleigh's first adaptive use of a historic property. Dietrick eventually protected the structure with covenants and donated it to the N.C. Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, which used the structure for its headquarters office. It continues to serve office uses.


Date: 1887

Images

Water Tower, 2010

Water Tower, 2010

Image courtesy of D. Randolph, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Water Tower, 1980

Water Tower, 1980

Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission. View File Details Page

Water Tower, date unknown

Water Tower, date unknown

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Water Tower, date unknown

Water Tower, date unknown

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Water Tower, date unknown

Water Tower, date unknown

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Water Tower, date unknown

Water Tower, date unknown

Image courtesy of Preservation North Carolina, "Raleigh Water Tower," Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides), Built Heritage of North Carolina: Historic Architecture in the Old North State, North Carolina State University, Libraries, Special Collections Research Center. View File Details Page

Street Address:

115 West Morgan Street [map]

Cite this Page:

RHDC, “Water Tower,” Raleigh Historic, accessed June 29, 2017, http://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/49.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story