Water Tower

The City of Raleigh erected this octagonal brick tower to house its water supply in 1887; the structure included an attached two-story office building. Prominent Raleigh architect William Henley Dietrick removed the defunct tank in 1938 and converted the tower and building for his own office use, marking Raleigh's first adaptive use of a historic property. Dietrick eventually protected the structure with covenants and donated it to the N.C. Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, which used the structure for its headquarters office. It continues to serve office uses.


Date: 1887

Images

Map

115 West Morgan Street