Latta House & University Site

In 1892, freed slave and teacher Rev. M. L. Latta founded Latta University, a coeducational institution established to educate underprivileged and orphaned children in Raleigh's African American community. Located in historic Oberlin, the Latta property housed the university as well as Rev. Latta’s ca. 1905 residence, a Raleigh Historic Landmark. In 2007, the Latta House burned and the property was deeded to the City of Raleigh. In 2009 the city funded an archaeological survey, which identified remains from the use of the property as Latta’s residence and the university. The property is managed by the Raleigh Department of Parks and Recreation.

Date: 1892

Images

Latta House & University Site, 2010

Latta House & University Site, 2010

Image courtesy of A. Neifeld, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Latta House, 2006

Latta House, 2006

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Latta House, 2006

Latta House, 2006

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Latta House & University Site, 1980

Latta House & University Site, 1980

Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission. View File Details Page

Street Address:

1001 Parker Street [map]

Cite this Page:

RHDC, “Latta House & University Site,” Raleigh Historic, accessed June 23, 2017, http://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/47.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story