Chapel, St. Augustine College

The chapel is one of the oldest surviving buildings on Saint Augustine's campus. Students built the irregular T-shaped chapel of native granite under the direction of Rev. Henry Beard Delany. The broad overhangs of the gable roof are reminiscent of early Gothic buildings.

Date: 1895

Images

Chapel at St. Augustine's College, 2011

Chapel at St. Augustine's College, 2011

Image courtesy of D. Cicone, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Chapel, St. Augustine College, 1980s

Chapel, St. Augustine College, 1980s

Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission. View File Details Page

Chapel at St. Augustine's College, 2011

Chapel at St. Augustine's College, 2011

Entrance. Image courtesy of D. Cicone, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Chapel at St. Augustine College, 1898

Chapel at St. Augustine College, 1898

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Chapel, St. Augustine College, 1979

Chapel, St. Augustine College, 1979

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Chapel, St. Augustine College, ca. 1906

Chapel, St. Augustine College, ca. 1906

1905-1906 St. Augustine Catalog. Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Street Address:

St. Augustine's Campus [map]

Cite this Page:

RHDC, “Chapel, St. Augustine College,” Raleigh Historic, accessed June 23, 2017, http://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/46.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story