North Carolina School for the Blind and Deaf Dormitory

Architect Frank P. Milburn designed this Chateauesque building that stands on Caswell Square, one of the five public squares in the original 1792 plan for Raleigh. The dormitory comprises a hip-roofed main block with parapeted gable projections and engaged towers. The only survivor from the campus of the first state-supported school for the blind and deaf in North Carolina, it is used by the state for offices.

Date: 1898

Images

North Carolina School for the Blind and Deaf Dormitory, 2011

North Carolina School for the Blind and Deaf Dormitory, 2011

Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

North Carolina School for the Blind and Deaf Dormitory, 2011

North Carolina School for the Blind and Deaf Dormitory, 2011

Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

North Carolina School for the Blind and Deaf Dormitory, 1980s

North Carolina School for the Blind and Deaf Dormitory, 1980s

Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission. View File Details Page

North Carolina School for the Blind and Deaf Dormitory, date unknown

North Carolina School for the Blind and Deaf Dormitory, date unknown

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

North Carolina School for the Blind and Deaf Dormitory

North Carolina School for the Blind and Deaf Dormitory

Image courtesy of Raleigh Public Record. | Creator: Photo by Karen Tam. View File Details Page

Street Address:

216 West Jones Street [map]

Cite this Page:

RHDC, “North Carolina School for the Blind and Deaf Dormitory,” Raleigh Historic, accessed June 29, 2017, http://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/45.

Share this Story