Free Church of the Good Shepherd

This board and batten Carpenter Gothic-style church, designed by Reverend Johannes A. S. Oertel, was constructed in 1874 and augmented in 1899 and 1914. Its modest design reflects the congregation's beliefs (which broke away from Christ Episcopal Church over the practice of purchasing pews) and the economically-depressed period in which it was built. Only one of two Carpenter Gothic-style churches in Raleigh, it was moved from its Hillsborough Street location in 2006 and restored.

Date: 1874

Images

Map

110 South East Street