East And West Rocks

East Rock (1834) and West Rock (1835) were built of stone discarded during the construction of the second State Capitol. The twin buildings flank Smedes Hall, the school's main building; enclosed walkways connect the three buildings.

Date: 1834; 1835

Images

East Rock, 2013

East Rock, 2013

Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

East Rock, 2013

East Rock, 2013

Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

West Rock, 2013

West Rock, 2013

Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

East Rock, 1980s

East Rock, 1980s

Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission. View File Details Page

West Rock, 1980s

West Rock, 1980s

Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission. View File Details Page

West Rock, 1977

West Rock, 1977

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

West Rock, 1970s

West Rock, 1970s

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Street Address:

900 Hillsborough Street [map]

Cite this Page:

RHDC, “East And West Rocks,” Raleigh Historic, accessed June 26, 2017, http://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/24.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story