Smedes Hall

Smedes Hall is a three-and one-half story Greek Revival brick building. Originally built for the boys' school and called Main Hall, Smedes was renamed in honor of the Reverend Aldert Smedes, first rector and president of Saint Mary's School. It has been used as a multi-purpose building since the girls' school opened in 1842.

Date: 1839

Images

Smedes Hall, 2010

Smedes Hall, 2010

Image courtesy of D. Cicone, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Smedes Hall, 1980

Smedes Hall, 1980

Image by Michael Zirkle Photography, copyright Raleigh Historic Development Commission. View File Details Page

Smedes Hall, date unknown

Smedes Hall, date unknown

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives and History. View File Details Page

Smedes Hall, date unknown

Smedes Hall, date unknown

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Smedes Hall, date unknown

Smedes Hall, date unknown

Image courtesy of "Main Entrance, Smedes Hall, Saint Mary's School, Raleigh, N. C.," North Carolina Postcards, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. View File Details Page

Street Address:

900 Hillsborough Street [map]

Cite this Page:

RHDC, “Smedes Hall,” Raleigh Historic, accessed June 26, 2017, http://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/23.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story