Built to replace the original capitol, which burned in 1831, this National Historic Landmark is one of America's most important neoclassical structures. Three outstanding nineteenth century architects, Alexander Jackson, Ithiel Town, and David Paton designed this copper-roofed, roughly cruciform-plan building. Chambers originally used by the state senate and house remain intact. The building now houses offices for the governor and lieutenant governor. Guided tours are offered.