Anna Riddick House

The Anna Riddick House is a distinctive mid-twentieth-century Georgian Revival-style residence designed for a single woman. New York architect William Dewey Foster worked closely with Anna Riddick to design the dwelling, constructed of bricks salvaged from the Oddfellows orphanage in Goldsboro and bricks and heart pine boards from the central section of Raleigh’s Dorothea Dix Hospital, items collected by Miss Riddick. She described the house plan as “a one-person dwelling and as a place for large-scale entertaining.” Brick privacy walls enclose the outdoor living space of the front terrace and a former terrace (now sunroom) in the rear yard. A guest house, built by Miss Riddick about 1960, is set behind the main block. Anna Riddick was one of Raleigh’s earliest interior decorators. Her career spanned forty years from the 1920s to the 1960s. Private residence.

Dates: 1952 (house); 1960 (attached guest house)

Images

Creator: Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Creator: Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Creator: Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Street Address:

1028 Cowper Drive [map]

Cite this Page:

RHDC, “Anna Riddick House,” Raleigh Historic, accessed June 29, 2017, http://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/179.

Share this Story