Dr. M.T. Pope House

The Dr. M.T. Pope House is the last structure in its original location illustrating the presence of a middle and professional class of African-American families along South Wilmington Street. Dr. Pope was a politically active and well-known African American physician and Trustee of Shaw University and his daughters both became educators. The two-story brick house is a rare and early example of an African American residence built of expensive, high-quality materials with stylish workmanship. Owned by the City of Raleigh, the building is now available for tours.

Date: 1900

Images

Dr. M.T. Pope House, date unknown

Dr. M.T. Pope House, date unknown

Miss Pope along side the Pope House and Stronach's Alley. Image courtesy of the City of Raleigh Museum. View File Details Page

Dr. M.T. Pope House, 2009

Dr. M.T. Pope House, 2009

Image courtesy of B. Fullington, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Dr. M.T. Pope House, 2009

Dr. M.T. Pope House, 2009

Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Dr. M.T. Pope House, 1999

Dr. M.T. Pope House, 1999

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Street Address:

511 South Wilmington Street [map]

Cite this Page:

RHDC, “Dr. M.T. Pope House,” Raleigh Historic, accessed June 29, 2017, http://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/135.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story