The Thompson house is one of several remaining dwellings from the once-grand residential corridor that extended along Hillsborough Street from the Capitol west to Oberlin Road. The house, a combination of Queen Anne detailing and Colonial Revival form and decoration, is a hybrid style often called Southern Colonial. John Thompson, a prominent Raleigh businessman, built this house for his eight-member family. It now houses offices.
Date: ca. 1910