Dr. Z.M. Caveness House

Designed by architect Harry P. S. Keller, the Dr. Z. M. Caveness House is a well-preserved brick foursquare distinguished by the low forms, strong horizontal lines, earthy materials, and overall sense of simplicity of the Prairie style of architecture. Dr. Caveness, a local physician and civic leader, received one of the first degrees granted by the newly established medical school at the University of North Carolina in 1903. Preservation North Carolina purchased the house in the late twentieth century and it served as the organization's headquarters from 1986 until 1993. It remains in use for offices.

Date: 1916

Images

Dr. Z.M. Caveness House, 2011

Dr. Z.M. Caveness House, 2011

Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Dr. Z.M. Caveness House, 2011

Dr. Z.M. Caveness House, 2011

Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Dr. Z.M. Caveness House, 2011

Dr. Z.M. Caveness House, 2011

Image courtesy of D. Strevel, Capital City Camera Club. View File Details Page

Dr. Z.M. Caveness House, 1987

Dr. Z.M. Caveness House, 1987

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Dr. Z.M. Caveness House, 1987

Dr. Z.M. Caveness House, 1987

Image courtesy of the North Carolina State Archives. View File Details Page

Dr. Z.M. Caveness House, date unknown

Dr. Z.M. Caveness House, date unknown

Image courtesy of Myrick Howard, "Caveness House, Raleigh, Wake County," Preservation North Carolina. View File Details Page

Street Address:

1804 Hillsborough Street [map]

Cite this Page:

RHDC, “Dr. Z.M. Caveness House,” Raleigh Historic, accessed June 26, 2017, http://raleighhistoric.org/items/show/127.
Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story